When we first teamed up with the American Association of Wartime Veterans to bring the VA benefit to thousands of seniors in the St. Louis area, we were asked to evaluate on a case by case basis, most of the independent living, assisted living and skilled nursing communities in the four counties we serve. Our job was to find places that not only fit the requirements for VA benefits, but also met high standards in regards to staff evaluations for care and commitment to residents.
Each inspection entailed several visits, where we talked to staff, directors and residents. We worked to get a true 360 degree view of the community.
Community Requirements for VA Awards of Homebound Aid and Attendance
- 24 hour staffing so that assistance is available right away.
- Pull cords in every apartment or other monitoring equipment.
- Communal dining environment.
- Access to advanced assistance from caregivers and health providers.
- Staff supported activities and entertainment.
- Transportation to and from doctor visits.
These factors allow the VA the possibility of awarding the highest amount to your family for the care of your senior veteran. Without these factors, much lower awards are the only ones possible.
The most important factor always comes down to the people who work in and manage the community. We look for evidence that they will be strong advocates for your loved one and they have an interest in continually upgrading and improving performance in their community.
We also reinspect the communities on a regular basis, in order for us to understand and
- Vet First Reinspections Successfully Completed
- Long Term Care Payouts Count as Income
- Best Communities for Veterans – We've Found Them!
- Village North Retirement Community
- Finding the best in Assisted Living is a challenge for Veteran's Families
Category: Finding the Right Community